Ultradur® FC grades: the new sustainable performance kit for coffee capsules.
Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 is a specially developed high flowability PBT for packaging applications. Besides the well-known advantages of Ultradur® – stiffness, strength, thermal stability and chemical resistance – the easy-flowing Ultradur® variant offers more. Combined with other grades for example barrier or THF migration it even multiplies its performance.
Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 at a glance:
- Easy flowing PBT grade
- Food contact approved
Excellent barrier properties:
OTR: 24 cm³ 100 μm / (m² d bar)
WVTR: 2,5 g 100 μm / (m² d 85% r.H.)
MVR: 110 cm³/10 min
- High rigidity and strength
- Chemical resistance
- High stiffness suitable for thin-walled parts
- Outstanding dimensional stability under heat (up to 200°C)
You have the freedom to choose.
Down to 0,1 % O2 after 100 days.
Further improvement in different simulants.
Packaging down to 1,6 gr per capsule 2,5 % more coffee per capsule.
Drastic reduction of CO2 footprint with ChemCyclingTM and biomass balance (BMB).
Our basic grade
The outstanding heat stability of Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 allows sterilization, hot filling, microwaving and makes the products dishwasher safe. The shape of the stiff and stable thin walled injection-molded packaging can be freely chosen due to its excellent barrier properties. There is no need for a 100% complete labeling to provide a barrier. The easy processing of Ultradur® enables the usage on standard filling lines. Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 is certified for food contact, which makes this new grade suitable for thin-walled (injection-molded) packaging for cosmetics and food products.
Protection against moisture and oxygen
Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 is the product of choice when it comes to single layer aroma sealed packaging. The well balanced barrier properties against moisture and oxygen make a secondary packaging redundant. Thus, the new capsules have great advantages compared to other injection-molded or multilayered thermoformed capsules. And on top – due to the high stiffness of Ultradur® the capsules can be very thin which is a prerequisite for economic and ecological production.
Ultradur® keeps food fresh longer
After using another material, the delicatessen manufacturer Gautschi switched to PBT tubs made of Ultradur® B1520 FC R01. In this new PBT variant, products stay fresh considerably longer, as Gautschi confirms. The excellent barrier properties of this new PBT material against moisture and oxygen also efficiently help to retain the aroma.
Choose your individual sustainable material out of our performance kit.
Our Barrier grade will keep the oxygen out of your capsule, keeping your coffee as fresh as just ground!
- Melt temperatures: 260 – 280°C, preferred 275°C
- Mold temperatures: 20 – 60°C, preferred 40°C
- Moisture and drying: Max moisture content granulate: 0,04%; Predrying of granulate with dry air dryer or vacuum dryer: 80°C - 120°C, 4h
- Plasticizing: Peripheral screw speed: max 0,25 m/s; Dosing: max 1-2 x screw diameter
- Screw Design: Single-flighted, shallow-cut three-section screws having a L / D ratio of 20 - 23 are suitable for processing Ultradur®.
- Hot Runner: Good thermal insulation necessary, recrystallization temperature of PBT is about 202°C, therefore material freezes at higher temperature level in comparison to e.g. PP, open nozzle or shut-off nozzle.
Cups Injection Molding
Container Injection Molding
One fits all – Ultradur for packaging!
Our webinar "New Ultradur® grades for thermoforming and injection-molding applications with tailor-made property profiles" took place on March 23rd, 2021
Did you miss our talk ?
We want to reassure that we’re still welcoming your questions and requests. Therefore, don’t hesitate to contact us directly.
Contact our Experts
In case of any questions, please contact our Ultra Infopoint. Our experts are happy to provide you with any information needed.
Consult with an Ultradur® B1520 expert!