Ultradur® B1520 FC R01: new easy-flowing PBT for thin wall barrier packaging
Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 is a specially developed high flowability PBT for packaging applications. Besides the well-known advantages of Ultradur® – stiffness, strength, thermal stability and chemical resistance – the easy-flowing Ultradur® variant offers more.
Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 at a glance:
Easy flowing PBT grade
Food contact approved
Excellent barrier properties:
OTR: 24 cm³ 100 μm / (m² d bar)
WVTR: 2,5 g 100 μm / (m² d 85% r.H.)
MVR: 110 cm³/10 min
High rigidity and strength
High stiffness suitable for thin-walled parts
Outstanding dimensional stability under heat (up to 200°C)
Ultradur® B1520 FC for applications with food contact and cosmetics
The outstanding heat stability of Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 allows sterilization, hot filling, microwaving and makes the products dishwasher safe. The shape of the stiff and stable thin walled injection-molded packaging can be freely chosen due to its excellent barrier properties. There is no need for a 100% complete labeling to provide a barrier. The easy processing of Ultradur® enables the usage on standard filling lines. Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 is certified for food contact, which makes this new grade suitable for thin-walled (injection-molded) packaging for cosmetics and food products.
Good taste is made of Ultradur®
The new Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 is already used in two series productions – Coffee capsules offered by Equity Holding S.A. and employed by the French coffee roastery Café Méo as well as PBT tubs that are produced by Greiner Packaging and filled with delicious sauces of the company Gautschi.
Protection against moisture and oxygen
Ultradur® B1520 FC R01 is the product of choice when it comes to single layer aroma sealed packaging. The well balanced barrier properties against moisture and oxygen make a secondary packaging redundant. Thus, the new capsules have great advantages compared to other injection-molded or multilayered thermoformed capsules. And on top – due to the high stiffness of Ultradur® the capsules can be very thin which is a prerequisite for economic and ecological production.
Ultradur® keeps food fresh longer
After using another material, the delicatessen manufacturer Gautschi switched to PBT tubs made of Ultradur® B1520 FC R01. In this new PBT variant, products stay fresh considerably longer, as Gautschi confirms. The excellent barrier properties of this new PBT material against moisture and oxygen also efficiently help to retain the aroma.
- Melt temperatures: 260 – 280°C, preferred 275°C
- Mold temperatures: 20 – 60°C, preferred 40°C
- Moisture and drying: Max moisture content granulate: 0,04%; Predrying of granulate with dry air dryer or vacuum dryer: 80°C - 120°C, 4h
- Plasticizing: Peripheral screw speed: max 0,25 m/s; Dosing: max 1-2 x screw diameter
- Screw Design: Single-flighted, shallow-cut three-section screws having a L / D ratio of 20 - 23 are suitable for processing Ultradur®.
- Hot Runner: Good thermal insulation necessary, recrystallization temperature of PBT is about 202°C, therefore material freezes at higher temperature level in comparison to e.g. PP, open nozzle or shut-off nozzle.
Cups Injection Molding
Container Injection Molding