The new Ultradur® RX portfolio for
high-performance radar sensors
People everywhere expect appealing designed, comfortable and safe cars. To meet these requirements, the automotive industry continuously needs innovations. Chemistry is set to play an even greater role in the future as it contributes significantly to solving the mobility challenges ahead. Besides eMobility, automated driving is gaining importance. The challenges for cameras and sensors with ADAS will continue to increase and play an even greater role.
Sensors and cameras are key components for how well a self-driving car performs
With Ultradur® RX BASF has developed a PBT for sensor applications. Like sensitive electronic components, sensors have to withstand high temperatures on all climate zones worldwide. They have to be resistant to media like spray water, oils or road salt while they have to block or transmit radar waves from other vehicles.
Product description and intended usage
- Ultradur® RX products are tailor-made PBT materials to absorb radar waves in the range of 75-80 GHz
- Dielectric optimized material solution to comply with the high standards in sensor industry
- Intended to be used as material to protect radar antennas from electromagnetic noise
- Materials show constant protection of sensors against electromagnetic radiation up to at least 120 GHz
- Suitable to be used as rear cover of a sensor housing or as an insert behind the printed circuit board (PCB)
Ultradur® RX product portfolio
|Name||Lowest wall thickness
for optimal radar absorption
|Ultradur® Exp. B4300G4 RX1||~3 mm||20 wt-% GF reinforcement||Housings and parts with mechanical requirements|
|Ultradur® Exp. B4340ZG4 RX2||~2 mm||
20 wt-% GF reinforcement
|Housings and parts with mechanical requirements|
|Ultradur® Exp. B4520 RX2||~1 mm||Non-reinforced type||Suitable for inserts for local radar absorption or parts with low mechanical requirements|
Depending on the dielectric parameters, pronounced interference pattern can be obtained.