One T for 1000 tasks - Ultramid® Advanced T1000 (PA,PPA)
Metal replacement is the key for the development of the next generation of lightweight and high-performance parts in many industries. However, the challenges for parts made of conventional plastics have increased drastically by trends such as further miniaturization, higher efficiency targets and functional integration. In particular, good mechanical properties at high temperatures and resistance to humid environments or chemicals call for new plastic materials which are able to succeed under these demanding conditions.
Answering these trends, BASF is now extending its polyphthalamide (PPA) portfolio by Ultramid® Advanced T1000 – a new compound group based on the polyamide 6T/6I. Ultramid® Advanced T1000 comprises the strongest and stiffest products of theUltramid® (PA) family with stable mechanical properties up to temperatures of about 120°C. Due to its partially aromatic chemical structure it offers high resistance against humidity and contact with challenging media – outperforming standard polyamides and many other PPA materials.
With this excellent property profile as well as BASF’s long application experience and profound technical expertise, Ultramid® Advanced T1000 is a strong and stable material for many demanding applications – one T for 1000 tasks.
Ultramid® Advanced T1000 – the new PPA with decisive advantages over standard polyamides and PPAs
Ultramid® Advanced T1000 offers decisive advantages regarding mechanical properties, resistance to humidity and chemicals as well as for processing.
BASF has developed the simulation tool Ultrasim® in such a way that parts made of Ultramid® Advanced T1000 can also be simulated.
- Highest strength and stiffness of all Ultramid® grades and stable mechanical properties up to temperatures of about 120°C (dry) and 80°C in conditioned state
- Improved long-term mechanical performance under constant loads in presence of humidity and at elevated temperatures
Outstanding resistance to humidity and chemicals:
- Higher chemical resistance compared to standard aliphatic polyamides in contact with many challenging media such as hot coolants, oils, aggressive fuels, and solutions of road salts containing calcium or zinc ions
- Lower water uptake than many aliphatic polyamides such as PA6 or PA66 resulting in high dimensional stability
- Simple processing by injection molding
- Several post-processing options such as welding and laser marking
Ultramid® Advanced T1000 – broad portfolio for many applications
All grades are suitable for processing by injection molding.
Several other specialty grades are under development. Please contact our sales or technical team for a recommendation of the product that suits your specific application best.
The initial portfolio consists of the following compounds:
- Standard heat-stabilized, glass-fiber reinforced grades with reinforcement levels of 30% to 60% to provide a broad range of stiffness, strength and toughness
- Special glass-fiber reinforced grades with improved hydrolysis resistance (HR) using 35% or 45% glass-fiber reinforcement
- A special long glass-fiber reinforced and high heat-stabilized compound (50% LGF) for outstanding mechanical performance especially at higher temperatures
Ultramid® Advanced T1000 – polyphthalamide with the highest stiffness and strength
Further information on Ultramid® Advanced T1000, the new PPA on the basis of PA 6T/6I, can be found here: