Composting Project with Organic Waste Bags in Bad Duerkheim District, Germany
In 2011, the practical application of organic waste bags made of compostable polymer ecovio® underwent large-scale testing in Bad Duerkheim district (Germany) in a joint pilot project involving the waste management company AWB and BASF.
Some 65,000 households each received ten compostable organic waste bags for collecting and disposing of organic waste in the organic waste bin. It was investigated how satisfied residents were with the bags and whether the bags could be processed into compost without any problems at the organic composting plant Gruenstadt owned by the waste management company GML.
- Duration of trial period: three months.
- Distribution of a free test package each containing ten compostable organic waste bags made of ecovio® to around 65,000 households in Bad Duerkheim district, Germany.
- Additional compostable bags available at various sales outlets throughout the district.
- Bags make it possible to collect organic kitchen waste in a clean and hygienic way.
- Disposal of the bags filled with organic waste in the organic waste bin, not intended for home composting.
- Regular collection and processing of organic waste at GML’s organic composting plant Gruenstadt by their operations management Veolia Environmental.
- Project research assistance provided by the independent consulting firm IBK-Solutions.
- ecovio® bags completely degraded within three weeks.
- No effect on the quality of compost.
- Great acceptance and satisfaction among residents.
- No increase in non-biodegradable plastics in organic waste.
“The decisive factor for us was the high quality of the compost and the fact that the bags make it easier for our residents to separate, collect and dispose of organic waste. That is why we have now allowed the ecovio® bags to be used permanently.”
— Erhard Freunscht, First District Councilor for the Bad Duerkheim district, Germany
Transforming Polymers into Compost
If you have any questions or comments, please contact:
To be added to the list of sales outlets as vendor, please contact: