Biomass Balance by BASF: Building a sustainable future
To build a sustainable future, all stakeholders in the plastic supply chain must work together. But how? The biomass balance approach is a good place to start.
What is the biomass balance approach?
Essentially, it’s a choice you make to contribute to a fossil-free production of your materials. Renewable resources such as biogas and bio-naphtha derived from organic waste or vegetable oils are mixed with fossil resources and fed into BASF plants at the beginning of the multistage production process. The final product is chemically identical with the standard fossil product and is based on a mix of fossil and sustainable raw materials. In line with the United Nations guidelines for sustainable products, BASF allocates your specific choice of raw materials to your specific product with the mass balance approach so that you can source a material in fossil quality for which we have purchased exactly the required amount of renewable resources.
BASF has pioneered this biomass balance approach to enable you to purchase a product in fossil quality while saving fossil resources and reducing CO2 emissions.
Why choose the biomass balance approach?
There are many benefits of the approach, including the advantage of attracting customers for your products who, like you, are looking to build a sustainable future and protect our planet.
Benefits of the biomass balance approach:
● Saves fossil resources
● Reduces greenhouse gas emissions
● Drives the use of renewable resources
● Is certified by German technical inspection authority REDcert
● Ensures identical product quality and properties
Certified renewable content
At BASF we use a mix of fossil and renewable raw materials in our large and continuously operating plants. Unfortunately, it is physically impossible to separate the chemically identical renewable based molecules from the fossil based molecules.
Therefore, we separate the final molecules based on the share of the different raw materials. So, for example, if we include a share of 1% of a bio-based raw material into our feedstock, we will only sell 1% of the final products as biobased products.
This allocation process is certified and also the feedstocks used in the biomass balance approach are responsibly sourced and certified by independent third parties. Additionally, greenhouse gas savings (compared to replaced fossil feedstocks) are measured and independently verified.
This means you can feel confident about the integrity of your choice to use BASF’s biomass balance approach.
Solutions for your biomass balance choice
With BASF as your performance materials global partner, you can meet your sustainability goals while also delivering high-quality products for your customers. Independently certified and fully transparent, our biomass balance meets the highest credibility standards.
Application: Mattresses, pillows, orthpedic products
- With BASF‘s biomass balance approach, fossil resources needed to produce CosyPUR have been replaced with renewable feedstocks
- It reduces greenhouse gas emissions up to 50%
- It is certified by REDcert2
- It ensures identical product quality and properties to fossil-based products
Application: Insulation materials in commercial buildings and cold stores
- Fossil resources are replaced by 100% renewable raw materials within the BASF biomass balance approach for Elastopir® BMB
- With Elastopir® BMB greater resource efficiency is achieved with a reduction of the greenhouse gas emission by around 50% CO2
- Elastopir® BMB combines renewable resources with the same high performance and identical properties than fossil-based products
- The sustainable feedstocks of Elastopir® BMB are certified by REDcert2
- Elastopir® BMB adds innovation and helps customers to develop sustainable solutions and to reach sustainability goals